Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I forgot what the title should have been


"Heavy smoking in middle age appears to be associated with more than double the risk for Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia two decades later."

Jesus, really? I was sitting there watching tv and my dad heard this and said, "Hear that?" So I read the entire article. It had some interesting discrepancies.

"The link between smoking and risk of Alzheimer's disease, the most common subtype of dementia, has been somewhat controversial, with some studies suggesting that smoking reduces the risk of cognitive impairment," they say.

So this is just one study that may have something to do with something, but they don't really know because other studies have shown the opposite. So it's just crying wolf, really. Also, "Former smokers, or those who smoked less than half a pack per day, did not appear to be at increased risk." So I'm already at the normal risk. I only smoke about half a pack or less a day.

Ok, ok, I know smoking is really bad for you and increases your risk of pretty much every disease, but I keep having these delusions that I'll quit and my body will go back to where it's supposed to be. Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment