Sunday, October 24, 2010

Would you quit?


Would higher cigarette prices get you to stop smoking? Apparently they did a study on higher prices and taxes on cigarettes and found that people who have alcohol, drug, and mental disorders were more likely to quit when the price went up. That doesn't make any sense to me. This is the group that's most committed to smoking, I would think. I mean, booze and smokes go hand in hand. But I suppose the more bars that ban smoking the more that will change.

Higher prices didn't make me quit, it just made me find neighboring cities where the taxes were lower. It was $6 in my town, and $8 in the town I worked in. Here, it's only $5, so I feel like every pack is a bargain. I love being in a tobacco producing state.

I hate it, but I love smoking. I mean, I hate smoking: it smells, I feel self-conscious around people who don't smoke, I have to sneak around. But I love smoking: it relaxes me (despite what the studies say), it gets me out of social situations when I start to get anxious, I meet more people who are also hiding. It's social and anti-social all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment