Thursday, October 28, 2010

Listen to the silence


A great insight this morning from Moving Beyond Addiction:

"Are you afraid of what you will hear in that stillness? Don't be. Some of our truths are ugly, but that's never the whole truth. All of us have an innate wisdom--somehow, somewhere, we know what is really going on with us and we know what to do about it. That's why I say in the exercises in The Law of Sobriety that you can breathe in the questions and breathe out the answers. In some part of you, you already know the answers. I am discovering that even if I don't find the answers right away, they will show up when they are ready to un-fold. I can't push the answers, but rather allow them to flow effortlessly without pushing them too soon."


Sometimes it's best to just sit in your thoughts and let them in and out through breath. That's a good reason why prayer and meditation are so heavily relied on in AA. In order to hear your HP's voice you've got to quiet down your own voice. Don't be afraid of the silence you may hear.

I have a serious problem quieting my mind. There's so much going on up there, especially now. It's hard for me to sit in meditation, but my therapist says it gets better the more you practice it. Sometimes practice and repetition lead to habit, and habit makes everything easier. Apparently it works in monkeys, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment